Tuesday, April 22, 2014

#BecomingFilipino: The journey of Kyle Jennerman


As a teenager, it has always been my hobby to surf the net and check for amazing videos on YouTube and other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Yesterday, as I randomly scrolled down my news feed on Facebook, a heading caught my attention. It says: #BecomingFilipino: Welcome to Cagayan de Oro, Welcome to my Home.



It may sound very common but it wedged my attention to its thumbnail. They’re all foreigners and as I may deem, they’re on a Jeepney; one of the country’s pride, a symbol for the Philippines. One of the foreigners, Kyle Jennerman, a 25 year-old Canadian national has set his foot in the Philippines and trying to become a Filipino created a site, a Facebook Page and a Twitter account for his expedition.
 In his site, he stated: “…..I am not Filipino.  I don't have a Filipino passport and it would be almost impossible for me to get one.   But!   I love the Philippines and would be honored to be part Filipino.  So I have decided to try to prove myself worth of saying "I am Filipino”.”

His video created a buzz on the social media sites and he encourages Filipino to help him create a cultural list which constitutes experiences, place, history, food, drink or anything. He covets to start in his HomHosfkjfHome City, Cagayan de Oro (Mindanao) and to use it as his home base and to make it also as his finish line.

As a proud Filipino (and even more proud because of him), I encourage everyone to join his quest of Becoming a Filipino. You can visit his site: http://www.becomingfilipino.com or follow him on Twitter: @KyleJennerman. Let’s support his endeavor and take part to his pursuit.







To watch his video, click the links: 
#BecomingFilipino - Welcome to Cagayan de Oro, Welcome to my Home
#BecomingFilipino - Introduction

(All photos came from his site.)

1 comment: